2018 CYCLO SPORTIF SWAN VALLEY
The Cyclo Sportif series of events is Perth’s premier and most trusted road cycling series especially designed for recreational cyclists. Each year thousands of people enjoy these fun, timed team participation events that have been developed to cater for beginner riders right through to the more serious ‘road warrior’.
The Cyclo Sportif is back!
Cyclo Sportif Swan Valley will be held in the heart of the luscious Swan Valley wine region. The course offers three distances that combines the best of flat, fast roads and a few new challenging climbs.
There are plenty of accommodation options in and around Swan Valley and there is plenty to see and do to make a family or team weekend away.
Check out the event on Facebook and invite your friends HERE
ABOUT THE RIDE
Date: Sunday, 8 July 2018
Time: From 8:30am for all distances
Venue: Oakover Grounds, 14 Yukich Close, Middle Swan WA 6056
Parking: There is ample parking available off Yukich Close just before you reach Oakover Grounds. Parking is FREE and there will be parking marshals to direct you. Please refrain from parking at the Herne Hill Primary School.
Rider Check-In: Registrations will commence at 7:00am. The team captain will need to visit the registration desk at Oakover Grounds to collect the team timing band.
Start area: Following the rider briefing, riders will follow a motorbike marshal to the remote start line located near Herne Hill Primary School.
DOWNLOAD THE COURSE MAPS HERE:
Send the map to your smartphone, experience the course with a 3D flyover and more.
Please note that all routes and distances are subject to change.
Bicycling Western Australia has developed a reputation of presenting fun and exciting events in a safe environment. This event is fully supported with approved traffic management, corner marshals, on-road support and water stations.
If you’re not riding in Cyclo Sportif Swan Valley you can still get close to the action by volunteering for the day. Positions include; aid station attendant, corner marshal, rider check-in, motorbike marshal, parking marshal and general event operations. So if you have a passion for cycling and want to make a difference then express your interest today HERE
Please Note: Entries generally close on Tuesday Midnight prior to the event.
The Cyclo Sportif series of events are fun and great value. All courses are marshalled, with rider support and approved traffic management plans to make for enjoyable and safe riding conditions.
Our rides are based on the European style team events. Riders organise themselves into teams of four to nine riders.
A team can be made up of any ‘like’ group such as your friends, regular riding group or work colleagues. You can ride any type of bike provided they are consistent across your team (ie, all road bikes, hand bicycles or mountain bikes).
A Cyclo Sportif is conducted in race-like conditions with each team receiving a time however it is NOT race – it is about enjoying a challenge with your friends and participating as a team – not ‘winning’. Your team must work and remain together throughout the event. There are no place-getter prizes awarded.
THE ROLE OF THE TEAM LEADER
The team leader plays a pivotal role in the success of a Cyclo Sportif team.
The leader is responsible for getting the team organised and ensuring all team members have registered before the cut-off date. They do not have to register each member as members can add themselves to their chosen team directly from our registration site at any time.
BELOW IS SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TEAM LEADER
1. Get the team together and ensure your riding partners are committed. You can register your team and either get your team members to individually register with your team or you can collect your team members’ details and register your whole team at the same time. Find more details on here.
2. Ensure all team members have registered before the close-off date
3. Organise your team on the day and arrange a suitable meeting point
4. Collect and distribute the timing band and team numbers One timing band per team will be issued and it is suggested the Team Manager wears this.
5. Team Managers should attend the pre-ride briefing and relay this information to all team members. The pre-ride briefing covers the course route, any specific hazards on the course and things to watch out for.
6. Get your team to the start line on-time – you will be given a specific start time before the event.
7. Managers assume responsibility, manage the team out on the road and reinforce ride protocols.
6. ENJOY the ride!
7. After the ride, return the timing band and team numbers (replacement bands cost $130 and will be charged if lost).
8. Pick up and distribute lunch vouchers and fill out nominations for awards.
Thank you to all the Team Managers. Without your great work and support our events wouldn’t be as successful!
Bicycling Western Australia prides itself on presenting fun, timed participation events – NOT RACES. We cater for many levels of bike riders, so please follow the protocols below to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable ride.
Click HERE to watch a video explaining Cyclo Sportif protocols.
- Safety is paramount. While we make our best endeavours to improve rider and course safety, it is each rider’s own responsibility to adhere to the protocols listed below and to take responsibility for their own safety
- There are no ‘referees’ or ‘commissaires’ as these events are NOT races
- It is every participant’s responsibility to adhere to good cycling etiquette and RESPECT other bike riders and road users
- All riders should carry a mobile phone in the event of an emergency or to enable Event Control to contact them if required
- Ride according to the road rules. All standard road rules apply throughout the event.
- You MAY be given priority by traffic controllers at some intersections. Follow all the instructions given by licensed traffic controllers
- The wearing of an Australian Standards approved cycling helmet is mandatory
MP3 PLAYERS AND MUSIC DEVICES
- The use of personal music devices such as iPods by riders during an event is not permitted
- Marshals are provided for your safety and the safety of others
- Please obey any instruction or direction by any event offical
- This may include direction to stop
PASSING TEAMS / INTERFERENCE
- Do not interfere with other participant teams or riders
- If another team catches your team you must allow them to pass before regrouping
- No drafting – teams must not draft off the team in front, if you catch up to another team either overtake or drop back
- If you are overtaking a team, you MUST overtake by riding in single file and do not interfere with the other team. Give multiple advance warnings as you come up behind them. Remember, some of the teams may not be as experienced as you.
- Riders must ride no more than two abreast
- Riders must keep left at all times
DO NOT ABANDON RIDERS
- The principle of Cyclo Sportif and all BWA events is to participate and to complete a set challenge. A team should not ‘abandon’ a rider. The team should stay together even if one rider punctures. The only exception is unresolvable mechanical failure. On this occassion participants can make their way back to the start/ finish area on their own.
- Contact Event Control and advise location of the abandoned rider.
TIME TRIAL BIKES
- Time trial bikes are not permitted for use in events unless the time trial bars are removed.
- Disc wheels are discouraged
- Most bikes are suitable for entry into events such as hybrid bikes, road bikes and mountain bikes. Team bikes should be consistent in type, that is, all road or all MTB. Tandems are accepted in either format.
- Team Briefing occurs 30 minutes before the first team starts. These briefings highlight course safety concerns. Attendance by the Team Leader or a single representative as a minimum is compulsory.
- Most BWA events are timed.
- Generally, one team member on each team will wear a timing band. The timing band should be worn on the ankle to ensure accuracy.
- The timing band must be returned to the registration desk at the conclusion of the event, before teams will get their lunch tickets.
Please be courteous to other riders and make everyone’s day enjoyable.
So you have heard about the Cyclo Sportif series and want to give it a go. People naturally have many questions before they start. We have listed some of the more frequently asked questions. If you want to know more please contact us or visit the event policy.
DO I NEED TO BE A MEMBER OF BICYCLING WESTERN AUSTRALIA TO RIDE?
No, you do not have to be a member of Bicycling Western Australia to ride in our events. However, members receive a number of great benefits including discounted and early-bird entry to events as well as being covered by Australia’s premium bike accident insurance. All the membership benefits are listed on our website. We are delighted to welcome new faces to all of our events, so please feel free to come and try.
I DON’T HAVE A TEAM, CAN I STILL JOIN?
Absolutely! You can enter as an individual and we’ll place you in a composite team with riders of a similar ability. Before you know it, you’ll all be great mates!
IS A MEAL INCLUDED IN THE ENTRY PRICE?
No, following feedback from participants we no longer include a meal as part of the entry price. The entry fees were reduced in 2016 to be ‘ride-only’. You have the option to purchase a meal on the day.
WHO CAN BE IN A TEAM?
You can make up a team in so many different ways – work colleagues, family, regular riding mates. Corporate teams are a great way to increase the profile your business, develop leadership and team building skills and encourage a heathy and active workplace.
HOW DO I REGISTER A TEAM?
You can create and register a team through our registration site. We’ve made it easy for you to collect your team riders’ details. Email us and we will send you an Team Sign-on spread sheet, which makes it easier to collect all your riders details.
WHEN ARE THE EVENTS ON?
We have two Cyclo Sportif events in 2017. View our calendar of events for more details.
WHEN DO REGSITRATIONS CLOSE?
Registrations generally close at midnight on the Tuesday prior to the event (if not sold out prior). Late entries cannot always be accepted so please ensure you and your team mates register before the close-off date.
HOW FIT DO I HAVE TO BE?
We have a distance for everyone, so if you only ride once a week, you may like to do the 30km distance or if you ride more regularly, you could try the 60km and if you are up for a real challenge then the 90km distance is probably more for you.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I CAN’T KEEP UP?
Cyclo Sportif is all about team work and we have strict team protocols including working and remaining as a team. So if someone is faster, then they can assist by giving the slower rider a gentle push if needed. Of course, it’s best to develop a team where you all have about the same ability, so you can truly enjoy the Cyclo Sportif experience.
DO I NEED ALL THE KIT?
No, but you will need to start with the basics. 1. A reliable bike. A road bike is preferable, but a mountain bike or hybrid bike is acceptable. 2. Helmets are compulsory. 3. A good pair of cycling shorts is a must for comfort. 3. A reasonable pair of cycling shoes and set of pedals that you “click” in will make the experience more pleasurable. 4. Water bottle.
You can always add to your kit as you go along.
The 2018 series is held at picturesque locations in Perth metropolitan area and regional locations. With a mix of fast corners, long straights and undulating terrain, there really is something for every rider.
IT’S ALL ABOUT TEAM WORK AND FUN
“Keep up the great work. Makes winter more sociable and really drives the team effort making a team stay at an acceptable pace rather than persons taking off. Really creates a team environment. Well done!”
Cyclo Sportif is all about serious fun. Come and make new friends, have fun, get fit and surprise yourself with what you can do.
It’s all about working as a team. You ride in a team of four to nine riders with the aim of working together to ensure your whole team completes the course. While the series is conducted in race-like conditions it is NOT a race – there are no place-getter prizes awarded.
We welcome and support all levels of cyclists, particularly junior and novice riders and with a course length to suit your ability (usually 90km, 60km or 30km options) the Cyclo Sportif series has something for anyone looking for fun participation rides and a healthy lifestyle a safe and fun environment.
Don’t have a team? Not a worry, simply enter as an individual and we’ll place you in a composite team with riders of a similar ability. Before you know it, you’ll all be great mates!
THE HISTORY OF CYCLO SPORTIF CLUB
The Cyclo Sportif series was developed in 2004 when a small group of dedicated cyclists were looking for an opportunity to ride in race-like conditions without the competitive/race element of other road cycling events. They were looking for a chance to get out and ride in a safe and fun environment while building their group / team riding skills and improve their health and fitness.
Since that time, the series has become the trusted and safe option for road cyclists looking to get out on the road and cycle with their buddies, family or work colleagues.
We have developed a reputation for hosting and managing events that are safe, fun, trusted and reliable.