About this page

Who is Bicycling Western Australia?
Bicycling Western Australia is WA’s largest and most prominent bicycling organisation. We are a not-for-profit, self-funded community organisation representing all bike riders in Western Australia.

When is membership valid from?
Once you’re registered as a member you are immediately covered by Bicycling Western Australia’s premium personal injury and third party damage insurance. If you’re registering for an event please note it takes two working days for our Membership and Event registration databases to sync. In order to receive the member discount you will need to wait a couple of days. If after this time you are still not successful please contact us.

What happens after I join?
Once you receive your membership card you can start enjoying great discounts and member benefits at participating businesses. You will receive BWA’s fortnightly E-News with all bikes and riding updates.

When do I receive my membership card?
Membership cards are processed every week. You should receive a new membership card within two to four weeks of renewing your membership. Please ensure your postal address is correct and current.

How do I upgrade my membership?
To upgrade your existing membership contact us and we will arrange this for you.

If you have any questions that aren’t answered here, please contact us.


Membership includes personal accident and third-party damage cover whenever you are riding a bicycle anywhere in Australia.  Some overseas cover is also included.  Bicycling Western Australia membership does not cover your bike or accessories.

What should I do after an incident?

In the event of an accident remember these handy tips; 

  1. Breathe. Assess the situation before trying to move.

  2. Get out of danger. If you are able, move to a safe area and wait for help. Ensure oncoming traffic is alerted of the situation.

  3. Exchange details. If you’ve been hit by a car or another rider, exchange details. This includes vehicle registration, name, address and phone number. If possible, take photos at the scene and get details of any witnesses.

  4. Seek medical advice. Even if you feel fine, see a doctor straight away for a check-up. It can take hours or days for effects to arise after a crash, and you will need to have evidence of the injury for later claims and compensation.

  5. Get your bike checked. If your bike, equipment, clothing, helmet or backpack has been damaged, we suggest taking photographs and keeping the items in their current state until the incident has been resolved.

  6. Report  to Police. You may have a legal obligation to report a traffic accident to the police. A driver of a vehicle (or rider of a bicycle) must report a traffic crash when the incident occurred on a road or any place commonly used by the public, e.g. carparks; and the incident resulted in bodily harm to any person; or the total value of property damaged to all involved parties exceeds $3,000; or the owner or representative of any damaged property is not present. Report your crash online HERE>>

How do I make an insurance claim?

If you would like make a claim, please get in touch through the Contact Us page with a brief outline of the incident. Our Rider Services team will be in touch to arrange the claim process.

You will need to provide:
- Bicycle Western Australia membership number
- Date and location of the crash
- Brief summary of what happened
- Any other information that may be important

You have 12 months to make a claim through Bicycling Western Australia, but it is advisable to call as soon as possible.

When you are able, we suggest that you return to the scene of the crash. Photograph locations, names of streets etc. as these details could be important if you intend to make a claim.

Bicycling Western Australia membership does not cover your property; including your bike and accessories.  If you do have insurance for your bike, take a photo of the damage and take your bike to a reputable bike shop for a repair quote (preferably two for confirmation) or replacement.

What if the other party is at fault?

We can assist you on the best course of action to take to recover costs as a result of the accident including your bike, clothing, accessories etc.  This usually involves sending a letter of demand to the at-fault party.

Our legal partner, Maurice Blackburn, offer a free initial consultation to Bicycling Western Australia members.  Contact us for details.

Is my bicycle covered under my membership?

No. Insurance for your bicycle is not included in your membership. There are several insurance companies that offer bike insurance policies or you may be able to include it with your home and contents insurance. Check your insurance policy or contact your broker / underwriter for more information.

Brad Tressider, Managing Director of Tressider Insurance Brokers explains that there are two main policy types that cover bikes in the event of theft.  "The first insurance option is a ‘stand-alone’ bike insurance policy - in short you buy a policy that only covers the bike. The second insurance option is a home/contents insurance policy with the requested bike insurance extension.”

Mr Tresidder said home and contents insurance can be the way to go. “A tailored home and contents policy that covers bikes is more sustainable and cheaper in the long term.”  He also made it clear that not all policies offer the same level of cover, and said it’s important to clarify what is covered before committing to a particular policy. “Some policies automatically cover bikes up to a certain value, while others you’ll have to specify in detail the year and make"

Read the full article from RideOn Magazine HERE>>



Road Trauma Support WA provide free information, support and counselling to anyone impacted by road trauma, regardless of when the incident occurred or what involvement (direct or indirect) the person had. Contact them on (08) 9420 7262 or visit their website.


As part of the motor vehicle registration process, owners and drivers of Western Australian registered motor vehicles are provided with unlimited insurance protection in the event they are held responsible, due to their negligent driving, for causing personal injury to another person/s (third party). This is known as Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. Any third party injured or killed as a result of the negligent driving of a Western Australian registered motor vehicle is entitled to compensation payments for personal injury suffered, subject to certain statutory thresholds.

For cyclists, compensation is paid only if the driver of a Western Australian vehicle is fully or partly at fault in a motor vehicle accident with the cyclist.  Any person (including cyclists) injured as a result of the negligent driving of a vehicle can pursue a claim even if the offending vehicle cannot be identified or is unknown - such as in a hit-and-run situation.

Your can read more details on the Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) website MORE>>


Expanded motor injury insurance will be available to all motor vehicle owners and drivers of WA registered vehicles from 1 July 2016. Motorists, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists will all be able to lodge a claim if they are catastrophically injured in a crash. Catastrophic injuries include spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, multiple amputations, severe burns and permanent traumatic blindness, in line with Nationally Agreed Minimum Benchmarks.

People catastrophically injured in crashes need a lot of care and support, but many miss out as the existing Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance scheme doesn’t cover them. That is the reason why motor injury insurance is being expanded from 1 July 2016. It will ensure that all people catastrophically injured in motor vehicle crashes in Western Australia from this time will be covered for the treatment, care and support they need over the course of their lives.

From this same date, vehicle regos will go up to help cover the cost of this care. The cost of the expanded insurance cover will be a maximum of $99 in the first year for each vehicle and motorcycle.

For more information about Expanded Motor Injury insurance, visit the website HERE>>


Thank you for doing a great job on behalf of WA cyclists!
– Andrew, LATHLAIN