Bike education for school students is an important part of encouraging kids to ride to school.
WHAT IS BIKE EDUCATION?
Bike education teaches kids the necessary skills and an understanding of road safety to enable them to ride to school with confidence
AIMS OF BIKE EDUCATION:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the road traffic environment and the road laws.
- Develop the physical and cognitive skills to manage the road traffic environment safely as a bike rider.
- Develop responsible behaviours, attitudes and decision-making skills for the safe use of bicycles, both on and off the road, through participation in enjoyable learning experiences relevant to their ages and abilities.
BIKE ED’S ULITMATE GOAL:
To teach children to be competent and safe independent road-users.
THE BENEFITS OF BIKE EDUCATION:
Bike Ed will:
- develop cycling ability;
- increase cycling confidence;
- ensure sound knowledge of road rules;
- provide practice for real-life road-riding;
- ease parental concerns about the dangers of riding to school.
FINDING AN INSTRUCTOR
Bike education is NOT part of the education curriculum in Western Australia and schools may choose to source a private service provider to deliver a bicycle education course.
We have listed some providers however there are many more organisation providing course for children. You may also wish to check the AustCycle website for accrediated providers in Western Australia.