- Helping kids build the skills, know-how and confidence to ride, walk or scoot to school, and beyond.
- Practical and – wherever possible – tailored strategies, guidance and advice to create active, healthy children both in and out of school.
- Member schools will enjoy a reputation for offering active, healthy learning opportunities.
WHY IS RIDING TO SCHOOL IMPORTANT?
We know that being physically active everyday can lead to happier and healthier school community.
By supporting an active travel cuture within your school community you can champion positive behaviours, and see the benefits in your students who naturally become healthier, happier and more socially students.
Physical activity is one of the most important factors in disease prevention in Australia – over the past 40 years, the number of children who are physically active every day has significantly dropped.
In the 1970’s, 8 out of 10 students rode or walked to school. Today the national average is only 2 out of 10.
Active travel is an easy way for students to meet their minimum daily dose of physical activity (60 minutes every day).
Schools that participate in our Ride2School program achieve an average of 1 in 2 students who actively travel to school.
Students are more ready to learn after actively travelling to school.
It’s easy, and it’s free. The Ride2School program supports schools to create and maintain active travel cultures:
- exclusive access to the HandsUp! survey system to monitor how students travel to school, track progress and win some great prizes
- access to years of knowledge & proven techniques to help overcome issues that school communities face
expert assistance and guidance from the Ride2School team
- assistance at your school from one of our local volunteers
- communication and information updates (including e-newsletter Behind the Bike Shed)
- a toolbox of resources and ideas that join all the dots for your school
All that’s involved is from your school is a monthly HandsUp! count each month. You then enter these results in our online system – it only takes 3 minutes. This helps us track your schools progress. The best part is by doing this your school is in the running for fantastic prizes through our Star Rewards and Barrier Buster program.
Join thousands of schools across Australia and commit to creating an active travel culture in your school. Register your school in the Ride2School program today.